Carob Boston Pie Pancakes
The idea for Carob Boston Pie Pancakes came to me when I spread some yummy Coconut Yogurt on another carob confection I was experimenting with. What if I could make a healthy, vegan, gluten-free pancake version of the famous delicacy, replicating the delightful creamy, custard-y insides and the oh-so-thin fudgy frosting?
Of course I did what every modern cook does in that time of culinary vision: I googled. And I found several 'pretty-close' recipes, then I added my own spin, fussed about with a couple of sample bakings and picture-taking. Hope you like this *healthy chocolate version of the classic!
- 1 c.+2 T./150 g Buckwheat Flour (or fave GF Cake Flour Blend
- 2 T. /30 ml Coconut Flour**
- 3 T. /45 ml Carob Flour/Powder
- 1 tsp./5 ml Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp /l ml Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp /.5 ml Fine Sea Salt
- 2 T. /30 ml Flax Seed, fine ground
- 2 tsp. /40 ml Chia Seed, fine ground
- 2 tsp. /40 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 2/3 c./400 ml Non-dairy Milk of Choice (not Light)
- 1 tsp/20 ml Vanilla Powder***
- 1/16 tsp./.25 ml Green Organic Stevia Leaf Powder****
This link is provided by an Amazon Associate/Affiliate
- Measure out all ingredients and lay out
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl or food processor
- Add the Apple Cider Vinegar and Non-Dairy Milk and stir or process until well-combined.
- Pour into a hot griddle and cook or bake in a 300F/150C degree oven on parchment rounds until puffed up and golden.
- Cool on racks
How to Make Icing:
Combine a couple of tablespoons of Carob Powder with Agave Nectar to taste (or sweetener of Choice). Mix up until smooth and syrupy. You may want to add about 1 tsp. of melted Coconut Oil.
Putting it all together:
- Spread Coconut Yogurt fairly generously on 2 or 3 pancakes.
- Layer three deep
- Frost the top layer and sides (or pour over, pancake style)
- Top with fresh seasonal fruit (mango, peaches, raspberries, etc.)
There you have it: a delectable confection that somewhat resembles my old favourite, Boston Cream Pie-- now to be known as Carob Boston Pie Pancakes!
*Healthy Carob Recipes
*Yummy Carob Chunks
*Carob Boston Pie Pancakes